Sunday 29 November 2015

Frustration at the Airport


Frustration at the Airport

   I had never been more anxious in my life. I had just spent the last three endless hours trying to get to the airport so that I could travel home. Now, as I watched the bus driver set my luggage on the airport sidewalk, I realized that my frustration had only just begun.

   This was my first visit to the international section of the airport, and nothing was familiar. I could not make sense of the signs. Where was the ticket counter? Where should I take my luggage? I had no idea where the customs line was. I began to panic. What time was it? Where was my airplane? I had to find help because I could not be late.

  I tried to ask a passing businessman for help, but all my words came out wrong. He just frowned and walked away. What had happened? I had been in this country for a whole semester and I could not even remember how to ask for directions. This was awful! Another bus arrived at the terminal, and as the passengers came out with all sorts of luggage I knew I could follow them to where I needed to go, and I would not have to say a word to them.

   I dropped my enormous suitcase behind being followed the group. We finally got to the elevators. Oh, no! They all fit in, but there was not enough room for me. I watched in despair as the elevator doors closed. I had no idea what to do next. I got on the elevator when it returned and gazed at all the buttons. Which one would it be? I pressed button 3. The elevator slowly climbed up to the third floor and jerked to a stop. A high squeaking noise announced the opening of the doors, and I look around.
  
   Tears formed in my eyes as I saw the deserted lobby and realized that I would miss my airplane. Just then, an old airport employee shuffled around the corner. He saw that I was lost, and asked if he could help. He gave me his handkerchief to dry my eyes as I told him what was wrong. He smilked kindly, took me by the hand, and led me down a long hallway. We walked up some stairs, turned a corner, and at last, there was customs! He led me past all the lines of people and pushed my luggage to the inspection counter.

   When I turned to thank him for all his help, he was gone. I will never know what that wonderful man's name was, but I will always remember his unexpected help. He aided me when I needed it the most. I can only hope that one day I will be able to do the same for another traveller who is suffering through a terrible journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment